Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Day 3/4, part 3

What a coincidence! Two coincidences in one day!!

As you know if you've been following this, I've been somewhat preoccupied today, as I bounce out of a period of depression, about whether I'm manic-depressive. What do you know, the actor and comedian Stephen Fry is presenting a television program all about bipolar disorder, with himself as the prime example, this very evening! (Here's the programme's website, which I've only glanced at so far but it looks really good.)

Calm down, you say, you've obviously seen trailers for it during the past few days, or seen it in the schedules, whether you remember that or not, so your thinking has been inclined in that direction. To which I reply, yes, I can't deny that. But are you suggesting that my mood has been affected by these things too? Because I haven't experienced such a sudden elevation in quite a while. So OK, I think the most reasonable explanation is that it's a combination of these factors: a minor coincidence in that I start a fairly steep climb out of depression a few days before this documentary is due to air. Actually, of course, the coincidental aspect is of miniscule importance compared to the fact that I now have the chance to learn quite a lot about bipolar disorder in a relatively pain-free way.

However, there was another coincidence today. I subscribe to a certain email newsletter about techy stuff, but I rarely get around to reading it. In fact, I only realised this morning that I didn't seem to have seen it for quite a while. This was during my morning meditation, before I switched the computer on. Why that came into my mind during meditation, I have absolutely no idea. However, when I did power up the PC, just 10 minutes later, what should pop into my inbox but the first of these newsletters since June!

I didn't realise it had been so long, at first, but checked back and, sure enough, there was the last one, marked unread. I opened it, and saw that this guy was moving house and saying he'd probably be off-line for 6-8 weeks. The latest message was full of apologies that it had been so much longer than he'd predicted. Now, the reappearance of this newsletter was definitely not trailed on radio or TV or in any newspaper or magazine, or on any website that I've seen. What are the odds that it should pop into my mind and my inbox within 10 minutes, when I hadn't noticed its non-appearance over 3 months? You tell me. But I'm sure Rupert Sheldrake would be interested.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,
As one of the author's of How to Lift Depression ... Fast, I'm fascinated by your progress reports. I hope you keep it going. I'm also intrigued by the 'coincidences' as that happens a lot to me too.
Ivan Tyrrell

Robin F said...

Hi Ivan, thanks very much for your encouragement. I certainly intend to keep "it" going, in more ways than one! To be honest I'm flattered by attention from someone whose work I've been aware of for some time. It took the simple, down-to-earth language of this book to really get through to me, though, despite my degree in psychology and my previous experience of therapy. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Whoops, my father seems to have got here before me!

Eleanor Tyrrell