Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Day 3/4, part 2

Still thinking about this mania thing. I'm getting by, at this part of my life, on a very low income. Yet I've spent over 1400 pounds on cameras during the last couple of years.

First I decided that high resolution was what I'd always been into (if you're into it too, here's a fascinating project), so I got a used Fuji GW690II, a classic medium format rangefinder camera, for about 600 pounds. Of course, for a medium format film camera, I needed a good scanner. I don't remember what that cost me, but it was well over 100, maybe nearer 200. However, despite the fact that's very nice equipment by most standards, I found I just wasn't using it much. So I thought I'd get with the times, and avoid the hassle of film processing and scanning, and spent around 650 on a new Nikon D70 digital SLR. Of course, to justify that, I had to sell the Fuji first, and I was genuinely unlucky there, because the market chose just that period for these cameras to plummet in price, and I got less than half what I'd paid for it, only a year earlier. And guess what? Despite it being a very good camera, I found I just wasn't using the Nikon, so I made what was probably the most sensible move yet, and sold it (getting between 2/3 and 3/4 what I'd paid), replacing it with a 200 pound Fuji E900, which is what I have now. And yes, despite the fact it's not nearly as good as either of its predecessors, I do use it. Its size probably has quite a lot to do with that, because it's practical to take with me most places, which I couldn't realistically do with either of the others.

So what's the conclusion? I really think I act reasonably when all of the circumstances are considered. Yes, I definitely go overboard and do less-than-sensible things, but to be sensible I think you need experience of having an even keel, mood-wise, which I don't. However, I really think I might now have a chance to get some.

No comments: