Saturday, September 16, 2006

Day 1

I'm a single white male, recovering from clinical depression.

In a contact ad, that would probably not be a good thing to say, but this is not about attracting or impressing people, it's about documenting my recovery, and it's primarily for my own benefit, though it might interest people in a similar situation, or who have loved ones who are depressed.

Yesterday I started reading How To Lift Depression [...fast], by Joe Griffin and Ivan Tyrrell. I only read about a third of it, but I felt so good, so optimistic, afterwards, that I decided this was it, I was on the right road at last, and I should record and share the journey. (The book is subtitled The Human Givens Approach, and there's a website. I have no connection with them.)

I'm not going to say much about my history here. In fact, focussing on the past is explicitly discouraged by these people. Maybe I'll feel robust enough to go into it later. But I've been depressed, to various extents, for many years, and have tried Prozac and therapy.

Prozac was really good, for a while. At first, the side-effects were difficult to deal with, especially the sleep disturbance. Eventually it allowed me to rediscover what non-depressed life can be like. But, inevitably, like any physical treatment, it failed to tackle the underlying causes of my depression.

I went into therapy long before depression was diagnosed. It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been interested in it intellectually. My first degree was in philosophy and psychology, then I moved into information technology to get a decent job, but still hankered after my old interests, so took a introductory course on dynamic psychotherapy. People who intended to go beyond that course had to get into "training therapy", and though I didn't actually pursue the training, I ended up in weekly therapy for three years. At the time I felt it did me a lot of good, but I don't think depression was ever mentioned. A number of years later I began to suspect I'd been suffering from it for most of my adult life, then it was "officially" diagnosed by my general practitioner and confirmed by a clinical psychologist. The GP prescribed Prozac and I saw the psychologist a few times, and as far as the National Health Service was concerned, that was it.

That was about eight years ago. (I ended up writing a lot more about the past than I meant to!) Since then I've been better at some times, worse at others. I've self-medicated with St John's Wort, which is better than Prozac side-effect-wise, especially during the winter, as it does seem seasonal to some extent, though it's not seasonal affective disorder. (Even so, at the moment I'm using a 125 watt fluorescent "grow lamp" in this room because it's a very gray, misty morning.)

I took up that book yesterday (I had gotten it then put it on a shelf for future reference, like many others) because I'd been feeling particularly low recently, with quite badly disturbed sleep. I'm very glad I did. Last night I slept better than I've done in a couple of weeks, maybe more. I'm just about to take it up again, and I'll probably read another third or so today. I'll let you know how I feel later today or tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,

I found your interesting blog by searching for "human givens" at technorati.com because Human Givens and Mindfields College have been thinking of setting up their own blog, and we wanted to see how many people were already talking about human givens in the blogging world.

I just wanted to comment and say I am glad you found the Depression book useful for a stage and it's been fascinating to read personal accounts of how people are using our books in the ways they were intended for.

Wishing you the best of luck in your recovery and hope that you continue to find the Depression book and the human givens approach useful, sometimes I read it myself when i'm feeling down and it never fails to lift my mood and put things into perspective!

Eleanor Tyrrell

Robin F said...

Hi Eleanor, thanks very much for your comments. Did you know Ivan left a comment this morning too? (Day 3/4, part 3) And we're talking about coincidences?! Not such a big one that you and Ivan comment on the same blog within a couple of hours, if you're currently looking at blogging in the human givens context, but it's interesting, all the same. I think I need to have another look at synchronicity, which is what Arthur Koestler called his concept of coincidence.

Anonymous said...

Yes, sorry about that, I sent Ivan the link to this site to show him a brilliant example of human givens within a blogging context and I didn't realise that he'd left a comment as well!

Coincidence is a marvellous thing. I've always found that coincidences have got me further than planning.